Fort Pitt Provincial Park

Fort Pitt Provincial Park

ACTIVITIES & AMENITIES
Fishing Picnic

Fort Pitt, located on the north bank of the North Saskatchewan River, was a Hudson's Bay Company fur trade post.  Established in 1829 to act as a halfway point between Fort Carlton and Fort Edmonton, Fort Pitt played important roles in the fur trade, the signing of Treaty Six and in the North-West Resistance of 1885.  Today, the park contains the archaeological remains of two different posts.  Interpretive panels explain the post's history and a National Historic Sites and Monuments plaque commemorates Big Bear and the signing of Treaty Six.  Picnic tables, toilets and canoe access to the river are located in the park.